|Youth Warning Signs for Addiction
|ADDICTION can be viewed as a behaviour in which an individual engages to control their level of happiness and peace of mind. The way we experience ourselves often changes from day to day and addictive behaviour is an attempt to regulate such emotional cycles. The emotional repercussions of addiction can be long lasting and devastating for all family members.
- Is your number one activity partying?
- Do you feel you are a normal drinker/user?
- Have you gotten in trouble because of your drinking/drug use?
- Have you ever had a loss of memory, said or done things you can't remember while using drugs/alcohol?
- Have you had arguments with your family over your drinking/drug use?
- Do you need alcohol/drugs at parties to have fun?
- During the day, do you often think about the next time you can drink or get high?
- Have you ever had a draving or very strong desire for alcohol or drugs?
- Do you need more alcohol/drugs now to get a good high than when you were youngs?
- Have you ever felt you could not control your alcohol or drug use?
- Do your moods change rapidly when you use drugs/alcohol (e.g., very happy to very sad)?
- Is the main reason you use alcohol/drugs, to get high or drunk?
- Have you ever gotten into trouble with friends because of your alcohol or drug use?
- Do you like to play drinking games when you go to parties?
- Have you ever been asked to go for help because of your drug/alcohol use?
- Have you ever experienced any withdrawal symptoms following use of alcohol or drugs (e.g., heachache, nausea, vomiting, shaking)?
- Do your parents or other siblings have trouble with alcohol and drugs (e.g., overuse)?
- Have you ever had trouble with the law because of alcohol and drugs/
- Do you seem to fight or argue more than most kids?
- When people ask you about your alcohol/drug use, do you feel angry, guilty or anxious?
- Have your grades dropped substantially since the start of Junior High?
- Have you ever skipped school to use alcohol or drugs?
- have you ever been suspended from school for alcohol or drug use?
- Have you ever felt you were hooked on alcohol and drugs?
- Have you ever lied about the amount of alcohol and drugs you use?